How to Write an Effective Resume Title
When you create or edit your Monster resume, you are asked to name your resume. The name you pick will be featured across the top of your resume in bold and colored text as the resume headline, so select a name that is memorable and professional.
Experts suggest learning about appropriate job titles before writing the resume title field. “First conduct a search for representative jobs that interest you,” says Ginger Korljan, principal of Take Charge Coaching in Phoenix. “Whatever title you choose, the remainder of your resume should demonstrate why you are qualified for that position,” she says.
You are allotted up to 35 characters for the “resume name” field in the Monster Resume Builder, so select your words carefully. Don’t be afraid to use abbreviations to save space, and keep in mind that the goal of your title is to compel employers to keep reading your resume. An effective title includes your resume objective and your strongest qualification, says Pamela Hann, CPC, a workforce services specialist for the Kansas Department of Commerce. "That could be years of experience, an industry credential or a job-related skill,” she says.
“I would advise most clients to include at minimum their desired job target and the number of years of experience,” says Joe Perez, CPRW and owner of Seattle-based resume-writing firm Writing Wolf.
Perez says that this is not the place to try to be clever or witty. “Employers want serious professionals who don’t need to rely on gimmicks,” he says. So avoid stunts like “Hire Me!” or “I’m Your Best Candidate!” and desperate pleas like “Out of Work and Need a Job.” Also, steer clear of using your name for your resume title. “Jane Smith Resume” doesn’t tell a hiring manager anything about your qualifications or job target.
Before and After Examples by Career Field
To get ideas about how you can craft your own resume title, check out these samples for a variety of industries:
- Before: Secretarial Position Wanted
- After: Admin Assistant -- MS Office Expert
- Before: John Doe for Hire
- After: Top-Ranked Pharma Sales Rep, 5 Yrs.
- Before: Computer Programmer
- After: Sr. Programmer –- Java / J2EE
- Before: Engineer
- After: Manufacturing Engineer -- Six Sigma
- Before: Nurse
- After: RN -- 10+ Years of ER Experience
- Before: Accountant
- After: CPA -- Accountant/Financial Analyst
- Before: Finance Executive
- After: Bank Ops VP with F500 Experience
- Before: Graphics Designer
- After: Graphics Designer -- Adobe Suite/3D
- Before: HR Professional
- After: HR Manager / SPHR / 10 Yrs. Exp.
- Before: Manager
- After: Big-Box Retail Manager--11 Yrs Exp.
- Before: Marketing & Communications
- After: Marcom Manager--Nonprofit Specialty
- Before: Public Relations
- After: PR Specialist -- PRSA Certified
- Before: Teacher
- After: Elementary School Teacher/NYS Cert
- Before: Brick Worker
- After: Brick & Stone Mason -- 6 Yrs. Exp.
- Before: Mechanic
- After: Diesel Mechanic -- WTTA L. II Cert.
- Before: Logistics Worker
- After: Logistics Manager--12 Yrs. JIT Exp.
Resume Titles for Special Circumstances
- Before: Transport Industry
- After: Transportation Mgr -- DMAIC Trained
Military to Civilian:
- Before: Technical Troubleshooter
- After: MCP Targeting Help-Desk Position
- Before: Ex-Military Worker
- After: Army MP Seeking Police Officer Role
- Before: College Graduate
- After: BSME Grad -- Available All Shifts
Make your resume shine with help from Monster's resume writing experts!
- Before: Stay-at-Home Mom Seeking Job
- After: Recruiter -- 10 Years of Experience
Rate this article:
Featured Advice Resources:
Copyright © 2013 staradvertiser.com. All rights reserved.
500 Ala Moana Boulevard. #7-210, Honolulu, HI 96813 Telephone (808) 529-4747
StarClassifieds and Monster have created a completely new career site for you. This site provides you with powerful new tools and streamlined job search and apply processes. Whether you're actively looking for a job, researching a new industry, or just want to see what's out there, we are your career management resource. It's all about you.